Monday, October 31, 2005

Tombol

Tombol and I weren't close friends-we knew each other via the small Hyde Park/Kenwood/Whitney Young social network-but he was a very, very special person to me. I've been prolonging writing this, because I get choked up whenever I peek at this blog. However, in the wake of the loss of yet another Kenwood alum this weekend, I've realized how often I think of Tombol and I feel that I would be remiss in not acknowledging publicly how truly beautiful he was. For such a FINE young man, he was uncommonly kind- we had great discussions on the streets of Hyde Park about hip-hop- and gave us the hook up at Cafe Florian. Low-key, he was part of the reason I went there so often! I had the opportunity to hang out at his apartment a few times during my last extended trip home and I always wished that we had kept in touch. The night after he was taken from us, I spoke to my sister (who knew him a bit better) and she told me that just that weekend they had hung out and he had spoken highly of me. Just to think that I registered on the radar of someone that amazing still makes me smile.

Tombol: May God keep your beauty in our hearts forever. And you were right- the "Respiration" remix is the coldest hip-hop remix of all time, though I tried very hard to find one that was better! I'll be rooting for the Sox for you.

To the Malik family and friends: Know that this young man's spirit will live on in the hearts of many. You remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Jamilah-Asali Lemieux