Friday, June 23, 2006

Condolences

Dearest Malik Family,
The first thing that I must say is that Tombol was one of the most beautiful spirits I have ever met! You instilled in him the most amazingly endearing qualities that I have yet to see repeated in another male individual! Those fortunate enough to know Tombol will whole-heartedly agree with this! Kudos to you for raising one of the most resplendant young men I had ever met!
I have known Tombol since our days at Ray School and Kenwood, and even then he was mature beyond his years. Although young, Tombol never, and I mean NEVER, spoke negatively about anyone around us, even though that seemed to be the thing to do in most adolescent and teenage environments. He was a glowing individual who saw the good in everyone and that has always been what I admired most about him! Such a soul touches every life they encounter, which would inevitably make him a politician like no other! A man who was destined to change the world around him; to make everyone see the beauty that is life! It is a serious crime against humanity what has happened to your family and those responsible shall pay dearly for every piece of it!
When I was told of his death I was, without a doubt, in utter disbelief. I couldn't bring myself to imagine the type of individual it would take to do something so horrible to a young man as gleaming as Tombol. Furthermore, I couldn't wrap my mind around the idea of never being able to see him again and joke about the good ole times when all we had to worry about was homework and lunch money; never be able to share ideas about life and love and, especially, politics; never be able to share the most awesome feeling that was a White Sox World Series Championship! Tragedy involving youth is so hard to deal with, especially when it is something so atrocious, just rest assured that no bad deed goes unpunished and your family WILL be victorious.
I have been following the news stories about Tombol's perpetrators and I am so thoroughly DISGUSTED with the so-called legal system we have here in America! In any other civilized country a crime as brutal, hateful and heinous as this would have, at the very least, gone without bond especially given the financial capabilities of the families of these horrible individuals. As far as I am concerned the legal system has a LOT of making up to do to your family and I chant (as I am a buddhist) all the time for his extradition and for your, long overdue, justice! As a buddhist, I am taught to let situations like these lie in the hands of the greater energy of the universe, because no negative deed goes without an equally severe repercussion. That is why I do my best to put as much positive energy out as possible, on behalf of your family, in hopes that it will help this case.
I recently learned of this blog spot, and finally mustered the strength to sit down and write something to the family of a young man I was lucky to call a friend. Through tears and lingering pain I have managed to string a series of words together that I hope will bring you all some comfort and joy knowing of yet another life that your son has touched in a special way. Rest assured, that an energy like Tombol's will live forever in the hearts of those he touched, in the love of his family members, and all around you as that wonderful feeling that you get everytime a memory of him pops into your mind. My deepest condolences and most sincere sympathy for all of you. Stay strong, as there is no room for weakness in the fight for justice!

Sincerely, Adrienne M. Irmer
Kenwood Academy C/O 2000