Friday, April 07, 2006

Malik Family

Malik Family:

Lately I have thought a lot about death. As the most recent friend of mine to die, my experiences with Tombol come to mind immediately. At first glance, it seems that Tombol was here and now he is not here. His body is no longer here with me or you, but instead buried in a cemetary. But when I remember Tombol, I don't remember a body. Being in His presence, his limbs and hair were of no concern. I remember a personality, a fiery compassion, a friend. I did not know Tombol as a mask of skin or a set of organs. Tombol was not just some meaty lump of flesh. Wondering what is in His coffin, I find that it is only a set of tissue. With this half-empty coffin, now I can only wonder where Tombol really is.

How can we say that Tombol is dead? I visit this compilation of memories and see that Tombol has never left me. If Tombol had somehow left us, I would not be writing this and you would not be reading this. If Tombol was gone, how could we speak of Him? The human body was only one form of His being. Now he is rooted more firmly in our thoughts. His body may not be seen or heard, but neither is the body of undeniable love. No longer known as a body, Tombol is now free to live forever. Each memory of Tombol is Tombol. He is here with us right now, as our own minds.

With the utmost respect in this time of sorrow, I cannot miss Tombol. I cannot miss Tombol because he is right here, in this very moment. I can only miss His body that was moved towards the Earth on which my body lives. Burning a sheet of paper, I am left with ashes. Tombol too has changed his appearance, but like a sheet of paper can never be destroyed. This is not wishful thinking; I see Tombol in front of me right now. Rejoicing in His physical life, Tombol is more alive than ever. To say that Tombol has ceased may be a misunderstanding. To say that Tombol is gone may perhaps mean that we did not see who Tombol really was; perhaps we called him a body. His family and friends know Tombol intimately; this is self-validating proof of his presence. Again, I share unequivocable respect and support for other friends and relatives of Tombol Malik, and mean no dishonor to his physical legacy. But I do offer the experience of Tombol's immortality; he will forever be my companion.

Depending on perspective, this may be a time of sorrow or of celebration, of cessation or of freedom. We are capable of missing Tombol and smiling with him at the same time. He would want us all to miss him with a smile.

Respectfully,

-BR


P.S. Enjoy the computer games. ;-)