Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Today

Dear Shiera, Sati, Samil, Karen and Sharafuddin,

This is just a note to say that you and Tombol are in my thoughts so much. I will never, ever forget Tombol--his bright eyed curiosity and floppy good nature as a child, his pointy elbows holding up a bat, his diligent message taking whenever his sister's friends would call . . and fast forward to last April, when he took us all out dancing. . . when he was showing off (in his non-showoffy kind of way) what an interesting, intelligent, thoughtful adult he had snuck into being. Shiera, Sati, Samil--I try to keep that night seared in my mind. I was euphoric coming home, feeling so lucky to have you all as part of my past. It never crossed my mind that I would never see you all together again, that the future would be so different, that I would never again experience the joy of hearing Tombol talk about his new plans and interests, that he would never again be able to make me feel like a big sister. I grieve for the loss of future memories. I will never, ever forget Tombol.

Love,

Gin