Monday, August 01, 2005

My best friend Tombol Malik

Tombol was one of my best friends and one of the greatest teachers that I ever had. Since he was murdered I have reflected on the profound impact that he had on my life. Tombol taught me so much about life, friendship, trust, truth, everything, that I know I am an extremely different person from knowing him. Tombol was amazing; it was so fun to be with him because he would make the most out of any situation. If we were going clubbing or just chilling playing video games he would never complain and make sure to have a blast. It was so easy to be around Tombol, I never had to worry about how he would get along with people. Tombol had that special intelligence that allowed him to be comfortable with any type of person. What was even more amazing was everyone else was always comfortable around him. I never introduced Tombol to anyone who did not immediately like him and feel at ease when they were with him. But Tombol was much more than a fun guy to be around; we often debated the ways of the world, politics, power, religion, class, race, nationality, love, relationships, morals, everything. It was refreshing to be around someone who was eager to challenge themselves and discuss their views and ways of thinking in an effort to learn and teach. We learned so much from each other. The mind can do strange things and in one of my deepest moments of pain, anger, suffering, and struggle since this happened, I thought to myself, I need to speak with Tombol, he will have something to say that will help me. I quickly realized it was him that we were mourning and this helped me to understand how important of a man that we lost. Tombol Malik is dead in the physical sense. But he will forever be alive in me and in everyone that he met and knew. Everyone that I meet will then be eternally affected by me, and as Tombol is a part of me, they will be affected by Tombol, and then so on and so forth. I promise that I will strive to uphold the morals, convictions, and compassion that Tombol had and take his characteristics into my life, and this is how Tombol’s spirit will never die.

Benjamin Drake