Sunday, August 07, 2005

My Dear Friend Tombol

To The Malik Family…

I met your beautiful Tombol in the Spring of 2003. I was blessed enough to be in the same political science class at Harold Washington College. We gravitated towards each other in the way that kindred spirits tend to do. After a few class meetings, we were sitting next to each other; smiling and laughing as if we had known each other forever. Tombol had a presence – a warm, compassionate, gentle presence - that made you feel like you could be yourself and he would accept you just as you were.

We had to take part in community service for our service learning portion of the class. I spoke to the class one day about the needs of abused/neglected children in our community – and Tombol jumped on my bandwagon. We signed up to volunteer together with CASA of Cook County, to advocate for children who have no voice of their own. We attended training in March 2003 – I'd pick him up and we'd drive in together. I marveled at how such a young man could be so dedicated to helping other people. Besides the training days, he promised to dedicate (at least) the next 18 months of his life to being an advocate for abused/neglected children. The day we were sworn in, we were both so excited. We had hoped to volunteer together (on one case).

Tombol was a very special person and friend. Anyone who I ever introduced him to was instantly taken with him. He was truly beautiful, inside and out. We spent many hours on the phone. Sometimes we'd "talk" about absolutely nothing until every phone battery had been run down. And other times we'd have these deeply moving discussions about how we wanted to change the world. I would give anything to pick up the phone and hear his voice again. Or to call him "Fievel" (and apparently, after reading this incredibly moving blog, I wasn't the only one!)

One of the biggest regrets in my life is that we lost touch over these past few years. Our lives brought us in different directions, and we were both so busy… phone numbers change, you transfer schools, you move… but you know your paths will cross again one day so you don't sweat it. Then one day you find out that someone that meant so much to you has been permanently taken from your life. I am so very sorry for your loss. I share in your sorrow. If I can be of any assistance to your family, please let me know. I pray for your hearts to be healed and for justice. I thank you for raising such a caring, phenomenal human being. Although I am deeply saddened, I am also joyful that I had the pleasure of calling him "friend".

Sincerely,
Danelle Altman