Thursday, August 11, 2005

To the Malik family

I must be honest, when I first heard on the news the incident that happened July 9, I didn't pay much attention. So much crime occurs that you tend to become numb to it all. But when I saw pictures of your family's anguish during the protest demostration at UIC , I felt great sorrow. It was obvious that you loved Tombol dearly. And yet again I quickly put the images of your grief in the back of my mind.

But then I learned from a news article that your family was from Hyde Park and sudden I found myself more interested than ever. You see, I also grew up in Hyde Park and though I don't ever recall meeting Tombol or the Malik family I somehow feel connected to your grief. For the past two weeks I have googled Tombol's name in order to get more details of his tragic death. The sheer brutality of the crime angers me and it is only deepened by the numerous accounts I have read on this blog attesting to Tombol's good character . In reviewing the pictures of Tombol with his family, especially those of he and his brothers as children, it is obvious that he was dearly loved. He appeared to be such a genuine little boy who, from all accounts, maintained that trait in adulthood. I'm so very sorry for your family's loss and pray that the men responsible for his death are held accountable. I have no siblings of my own, but if I did I wish they were like Tombol and his brothers and sister. You all seem like such a loving family. I plan to follow the criminal investigation of this awful crime and will always have Tombol and your family in my prayers.

God bless,

K.G.