Saturday, July 23, 2005

Dear Shiera and Malik family

Dear Shiera and Malik family,

I'm on the other side of the world, in Australia, and feel so sad that I have not been there in Chicago during this terrible time to help give my condolences and share the sorrow in person. I never met Tombol, but I have had the privilege of meeting Shiera several times, and from what our dear friend Eve tells me he shared that same sense of vibrant intelligence and engagement with life that you, Shiera, have in such abundance. No words can describe the sense of outrage at this senseless tragedy. The only consolation is that we human beings have an amazing capacity to survive and recover if surrounded by love and compassion and friendship - and in this sense I know you are well blessed.

Love and peace,
Russell