Saturday, July 16, 2005

A few words of condolence

As I am too far away to attend any of the events physically, I want to use this way to express my dolor about the tragedy and my deepest sympathy to the family and friends of Tombol.

I have met quite a few people in my life, but it rarely happened to me that someone invites me at the first meeting to stay over at his place for a weekend, then drags me out to the best parties in town and introduces me to all of his friends. The weekends in Chicago were certainly one of the best time I had during my stay in the United States. Most of that was due to the great company of Tombol and his friends. I always hoped to get the chance to give back a part of this hospitality and friendliness. Maybe in Germany or England during the next academic year.

The description of Tombol in the papers as a nice and peaceful guy falls short of the reality. Tombol was an outstanding, deep and wonderful personality. A person who increased the worthiness of the world and life of the people around him. Someone who cared so much about his friends and whose passing away is an irreplaceable loss to them.

from Hanoi, Vietnam
Le Tu Duc