Saturday, July 30, 2005

Tombol

Dear Sati and family -

Sati only informed me earlier this week of what had happened, and I must say I'm still stunned and speechless. And furious. Though I can only imagine what you all are experiencing, please count me among the many who stand with you, if not in physical presence then in our hearts, offering comfort and consolation.

I turned to Julian Huxley (Sati knows why) to find him saying "Operationally, God is beginning to resemble not a ruler but the last fading smile of a cosmic Cheshire cat." Which is I guess what you'd expect from an atheistic evolutionary biologist. It certainly does fit the confusion I feel about all this. Of course, as soon as I start to wonder why, my thoughts go to - but he was such a good dancer! And I laugh at my memories of how woeful you Malik boys are on the dance floor, and how wonderful Tombol could be there. Such a sweet sweet boy - I was lucky to have met him.

with a heavy heart, and sending my love to you all,
Lauren



Lauren E. Brown
Ph.D. Candidate
Harvard University
Department of History
Robinson Hall
Cambridge, MA 02138
lebrown@fas.harvard.edu