Friday, July 15, 2005

My favorite Sox fan

One of my fondest memories of Tombolaya is when we went to a White Sox game in 2001. I’d hung out with him many times within a group context as we’d known each other from Ray days to Kenwood and beyond, but that was the first one on one. I was amazed at just how well the conversation flowed and how similar we really were. I could talk with him in depth about sports, hip hop, politics – anything. He was educated, charming, chivalrous, athletic – he was the kind of guy every girl wants and most guys aspire to be. I was going to ask him to a Sox game later this season. I don’t have to worry about him not being there in flesh, because he’ll definitely be there with me in my thoughts.

In an effort to try to make sense of all this, I continue rely on my mantra of “Everything happens for a reason.” When I think of what this reason could be, I hope that all the accounts of his life and the way he lived will show others how to truly have as positive an effect on the people they encounter as Tombol did.

Malik family: You can be proud of the way Tombol lived his life. I feel privileged that I had the opportunity to know him. I’ll keep both you and Tombol in my thoughts.

With Love,

Jeanelle Sims