Saturday, July 30, 2005

I've Been Waiting...

To the Malik Family,

I'm a friend of Samil's from UIUC. I've been procrastinating writing this. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I knew that by writing this I would be accepting that this tragedy has happened and saying my goodbye to Tombol.

I had the pleasure of meeting Tombol a number of times when he used to visit his Samil in college and also after college when I used to come to Chicago. I've been reading all the letters and they all are so accurate. He was just such a GOOD PURE person. Of course, he was always smiling. The one thing that stood out to me about Tombol, was his RESPECT towards others. From the first time we met, I could see the love and respect he had for his big brother. He looked up to Samil, and I could tell just by the way they acted around each other. Tombol showed me that same respect from the moment we meet. He was always well-mannered and treated Samil's friends as his own. I really appreciated him. I remember an evening a few years ago when I was in Chicago. A large group of us including the Malik brothers were hanging out and enjoying a night in Chicago. It was actually the first I met Sati. Everyone was happy to see him. He was so energetic and full of life. Tombol was everyone's kid brother.

I wish I could say understand what you're feeling, but I can't. No one should have to go through what your family is enduring. You all are in my prayers. My deepest condolences. The focus of thoughts and prayers will also be to catch and convict those responsible for taking Tombol away from us.

I hope these few simple words will help you get through this.

Sunjay Tuli